The Bavis Arena was evacuated Sunday after a chemical leak caused by a burst pipe put patrons at risk of inhaling carbon monoxide.
The arena has been temporarily shut down because the pipe carried, a chemical that is used to cool the rink. The leak caused the rink’s temperature to drop too low.
An investigation to determine why the pipe burst was begun.
“The only reason that we didn’t have multiple injuries from the carbon monoxide was because the arena was evacuated so quickly,” Lt. Craig Erickson of the Rockland Fire Department said. “The staff did a fine job in getting everybody out.”
The arena, at 180 VFW Drive, was very crowded when the incident occurred, officials said.
Firefighters arrived at about 1:15 p.m. and noticed a light smoke coming from the rear of the building.
After the arena was evacuated, the fire department cleared the carbon monoxide until the interior air was back to normal. They then allowed patrons to go back inside and retrieve belongings.
Bavis Arena management could not be reached for comment Sunday evening. The arena, part of the Massachusetts Sports Club, is used by hockey camps and leagues.